Stuck at Home? Try Something New
Truly, we are living in some crazy times! I don't know too many people who have ever experienced a time in our nation when we intentionally shut down just about everything around us because of a pandemic or anything else. As concerts are postponed, sporting events are canceled, schools are closed and tourist hot spots are shut down, experts recommend that even those who show no sign of illness stay home during this time of global pandemic.
As we Florida residents are aware, executive orders were signed by Jacksonville's Mayor Lenny Curry and Florida Governor Ron Desantis, mandating all of us to stay-at-home.
All of a sudden, on top of parents already thrown into the middle of educating their children on algebra and chemistry while cooped up at home, now we're told nobody is supposed to leave. Of course, there is, thankfully, a list of essential activities we can still do.
Although remaining inside is a good way to protect yourself and others from the coronavirus, and is an important measure to help "flatten the curve" of COVID-19 daily cases, it could lead to a lesser evil: boredom and stir craziness.
What's there to do while stuck indoors?
Well, here's a list of 25 things (not exhaustive) that you can do both individually and as a family, as we all while away the hours and days until we're all allowed to continue our normal lives.
1. Pray - At Lighthouse, we believe in the power of prayer in name of Jesus. Now is an awesome time to begin to learn how to pray if you don't know how. Just start talking to God.
2. Set some goals - Introspection is a great tool each of us can use to improve ourselves. Maybe there are some things you've always wished to do but never had the time to do them. Maybe it's one or more of the things on this list. Whatever it is, set goals to achieve them.
3. Plan a new business - Maybe you've always wanted to start your own business. Perhaps there's an idea that's been rolling around in your head waiting for someone to make it happen. Especially with so many people losing jobs and closing businesses, maybe this is just the right time to get yours off the ground.
4. Educate yourself - Been thinking about that diploma or degree you never got? Maybe now would be the time you can begin to make it happen
5. Read the bible - God's word is Jesus become flesh. Get to know Him by reading that word. The bible is not only an amazing collection of great books, it is Holy Spirit-breathed and meant for us to hear what God s saying. Start today!
6. Read a book - We all probably have a stack of books we've collected thru the years that have never been read. Flip off the TV, pick up the first book on the stack and read it. "If you don't read, you're no better off than the person who doesn't know how!"
7. Sing a song - Alright, maybe you're not the next great talent. Not a problem! Sing anyway. It'll make you feel good and energize you.
8. Dance - Ever been told you have two left feet? Who cares. Go out and cut a rug!
9. Complete a puzzle - Puzzles are great tools to invigorate the mind. Sure, they can also be frustrating. But what fun they can be. Get one with several hundred pieces. (You don't have to finish tonight)
10. Write letters to your family - There's something special about getting a letter in the mail. Especially when it's from someone we love and care deeply about. You'd be surprised at how a written word of encouragement or a nice Hello, how ya doin? can be for someone.
11. Telephone an old friend you haven't spoken to in a while - The sound of your voice may be just the thing to cheer up an old friend. Why not? You've got some time. Hunt down their phone number and give 'em a call.
12. Dust off your old band instrument and play - Saxophone, trumpet, drums, clarinet? If you've got one, why not drag it out, dust it off and play a few bars for your kids?
13. Learn a new instrument - There's this guitar that's been sitting in the corner of one of my rooms for years. Every time I pass it I think to myself, Hey, I want to learn how to play the guitar. Maybe now is a good time to start!
14. Exercise - You don't have to have the goal of looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger. All of us should have some form of exercise as a part of our lives. Just get moving.
15. Take a walk - Doctors say walking is one of the healthiest things most of us can to keep our heart and joints in good working order. Let's get out there!
16. Start a blog - Blogging has become such a huge passion for millions of people. It doesn't matter the subject or genre. There is a market out there for your blog.
17. Write some poetry - Roses are red. Violets are blue.... Poems don't have to necessarily rhyme. Some of the greatest don't. Just start.